Microvi MNETM for Groundwater Nitrate Removal:
WesTech’s nitrate removal solution for groundwater, Microvi MNETM, is a singular process that actively converts targeted pollutants into non-harmful by-products by using biocatalyst technology.
Biocatalysts are engineered polymer-microorganism composites and contain a high density of a single species of microorganisms (natural, non-pathogenic, non-genetically modified). The biocatalysts convert nitrate in water into nitrogen gas through a proprietary natural process that results in no sludge, brine or reject water production – only the safe release of nitrogen gas into the atmosphere.
The microorganisms are retained within the biocatalyst and do not enter the bulk liquid. This effective natural process provides significant advantages over energy intense, waste-generating and costly conventional technologies.
Watch the overview video to learn more about the Microvi MNETM process.
- Limited reproduction and competing species due to tightly packed organisms
- More efficient nitrate metabolism
- Simple process configuration
- Greater resistance to toxic compounds
- Ideal, protected environment for microorganisms
- No growth or filamentous microorganisms that cause bulking or foaming
- Can withstand long periods with no food source
- Removes risk of biomass washout during wet weather events
- Systems start up in days, compared to weeks or months for other biological processes
- Maximizes use of existing infrastructure
- Produces little to no biological solids
- Biocatalysts are guaranteed for 5 – 10 years
- No concentrated residual stream: Reduced upstream and downstream process requirements and little or no waste handling facilities
- Easier to operate: A simple reactor with minimal internal components, straightforward control, and no complex backwashing or regeneration reduces operator input and maintenance requirements
- Faster process: Treatment rates of just minutes mean smaller tanks; the dense biomass metabolizes nitrate more efficiently; short treatment times help reduce footprint and allow for modular/standard systems
- Reliable operations: When the biocatalysts are subjected to upset conditions or dramatic variations in influent quality, their performance is nearly unchanged. The biocatalyst solution is simple and less complex with fewer moving parts (e.g. complex system of valves, compressors, etc.)
- Proven technology: Approved for use in California; accepted technology in other states and countries (e.g. Australia); NSF/ANSI 61 certified
- Higher water recovery rates: Less water is lost or needs costly recovery processing
- Cost effective: Smaller energy and chemical requirements; no reactor backwashing
- Flexible designs: Can be retrofitted into existing tanks; offers simple, low cost design for new systems
- Quick start up and recovery time: Great for both continuous and intermittent use
- Drinking water treatment
- Municipal wastewater treatment