SuperSand™ Backwash Filter
SuperSand Continuous Backwash Filter Overview
The SuperSand™ Continuous Backwash Filter is an up-flow, moving bed filter that is constructed with various media depths for different applications and configurations.
How it Works:
Raw water enters near the bottom of the tank by means of a stainless steel water distributor. Suspended solids are filtered out as the raw water flows up through the media bed. As the filtrate reaches the top of the filter, it passes over the effluent weir and is discharged. A portion of the filtrate is diverted through the sand washer and used for cleaning and transferring the waste solids.
The SuperSand filter employs a backwash rinse that is performed continually while the tank is processing water. An air lift pump, located at the center of the module, draws the media from the bottom of the filter up into the wash box. As the media is released into the wash box, it falls into the sand scrubber where the filtered solids are separated from the sand. From there, the filtrate carries the solids out as waste (backwash). The washed sand falls down onto the media bed for continued use.
Benefits and Features
- Automatically backwashes while filtering for continuous operation.
- High filtrate rates in a small footprint.
- Controls consist of a level transmitter, modulating effluent valve, air control panel and a filtrate weir.
- Low space requirements and ease of installation.
- No moving parts and simple, effective operation.
- Effectively filters otherwise hard-to-filter solids.
- Saves energy and maintenance costs.
- Produces an uninterrupted treated water stream, with a minimal resultant waste stream for disposal or further treatment.
The SuperSand continuous backwash filter can be applied in both municipal wastewater and industrial water treatment processes.
Whether you need reuse quality water, nutrient removal, industrial water treatment, or raw water treatment, WesTech’s SuperSand delivers unmatched effluent quality, meeting the highest of environmental standards.
- Suspended solids reduction
- Water reuse (Title 22 Certified)
- Denitrification and nitrification
- Chemical phosphorus removal
- Pretreatment to other processes
- Metal finishing
- Backwash recovery
- Process water
- Cooling tower blowdown
- Steel mill scale
- Chemical processing
- Ideal for pretreament in lieu of gravity filters
SuperSand Concrete Basin
The filter cells (each consisting of multiple filter modules) share a common sand bed. A plant can be designed for a virtually unlimited filter area, enabling the SuperSand to be applied to small and large treatment plants with capacities ranging from 0.05 MGD to flow rates in excess of 100 MGD.
The stainless steel internal equipment can be supplied for existing concrete cells.
SuperSand Freestanding Units
Freestanding units can be designed with different tank material:
- Standard Painted Carbon Steel
- Stainless Steel