Horizontal and Vertical Pressure Filters
WesTech pressure filtration systems are designed for both municipal and industrial water treatment where the removal of suspended solids such as particulates, iron, manganese, mill scale, and other precipitates in ground or surface water is required. Both MULTICELL® Horizontal Pressure filters and WesTech Vertical Pressure Filters consist of a steel pressure vessel with an efficient overdrain system for distribution of influent water and collection of backwash waste.
Pressure filters are commonly placed after WesTech aeration and/or clarification equipment. When used as pretreatment equipment, these filters will prolong the life and efficiency of WesTech granular activated carbon, ion exchange, and membrane systems.
WesTech pressure vessels are available in a variety of configurations and designs that can be customized to meet various constraints such as water quality, footprint, backwash requirements and flow requirements.
Use pressure filters to:
- Eliminate backwash supply pumps (self-generated backwash)
- Utilize several media configurations
- Maintain system pressure through the treatment process
- Maximize filtration area per footprint (horizontal filters)
Customers have the option of either vertical or horizontal (single or multi-cell) pressure filters. Vessels can be designed at specific pressure and temperature ratings to meet application requirements. They are commonly constructed of painted carbon steel but can also be constructed of other corrosion-resistant materials.
A variety of underdrain options are available, including (but not limited to) false bottom, header-and lateral, and arched plate. Several overdrain options are also available, including (but not limited to), header-and lateral, single point (i.e. upturned elbow), multi-point (i.e. 4-point “H” style, etc.), orificed pipe, and MULTIWASH® (for combined air/water backwash).
Filtration media is selected based on WesTech’s application experience or by customer request. The media configuration options consist of mono-media anthracite or sand, dual-media anthracite and sand, or a tri-media anthracite/sand/garnet for applications with demanding effluent quality requirements. All of these media options can be treated with Manganese ANTHRA/SAND™ to enhance manganese removal.
WesTech has been designing and supplying pressure filtration systems for more than 50 years in both the industrial and municipal markets. This broad experience base translates into extensive process knowledge that offers the best of both worlds, a robust filter which can operate in the harshest environments while consistently producing the highest quality demanded by drinking water standards.
WesTech offers standards for both stand-alone and skid-mounted systems. In either case, the system piping, valves, controls, and instrumentation are supplied by WesTech to maintain unit responsibility. As with all WesTech equipment, customization to your specific needs is our focus.
Vertical pressure filters are best used for the filtration needs of smaller flows, and horizontal pressure filters are ideal for larger flows. WesTech is happy to help you determine which is best for your application.
Vertical Pressure Filters
Vertical pressure filters provide granular media filtration in an enclosed pressure vessel. Multiple vessels can be used to allow operating flexibility and backwashing from in-service filters. Under 0.75 MGD (2.8 MLD), they are typically more economical than horizontal pressure filters.
They are usually found in small to medium sized plants. Individual, parallel operating vessels satisfy redundancy requirements and offer a modular design that is easily expanded with increasing water demand.
Horizontal Pressure Filters
Horizontal Pressure Filters operate like vertical pressure filters, but their horizontal configuration increases filtration area per footprint. Multiple cells can be installed in a single vessel to allow operating flexibility and backwashing from in-service cells. Over 1 MGD (4 MLD), they are typically more economical than several vertical pressure filters.
- Pressurized filtration system
- Water only, air scour, or MULTIWASH (combined air and water) backwash
- Vessel design and manufacturing includes non-code or ASME code with stamp for a wide range of operating pressures and temperatures
- Improved redundancy with isolated vessels
- Multiple vessels in a single system possible
- Common or isolated underdrain system
- Multiple cells in a single vessel
- MULTICELL™ design allows for in service backwash systems
- Line pressure maintained
- Allows option for backwashing from in-service cells
- Reduced backwash flow rate with WesTech’s MULTIWASH system
- Manganese ANTHRA/SAND™ media, when used in these filters, provides enhanced manganese removal at a cost lower than manganese greensand
- Flexibility of operation
- Allows for easy inspection
- More filtration area in a smaller footprint than vertical filters